06 January 2007

Tengo cara de....

Well, we bought a vacuum....well, I guess to be fair, I should call it by its name.....shop vac. Everytime I use it I have to laugh. I cleaned all the paint off the tiles in the bathroom and I think the Thinner made me a little high (although I've never been high, so I can't be certain), I was standing in the doorway thinking to myself, woah I'm dizzy, the world is moving as if I'm on a ship....I realized that it wasn't the world that was moving, but ME! I was swaying like a drunkard.

Yesterday I was talking to one of the boys who lives in our complex and he asked me where we lived before, I told him and he responded "Ah, es que estaba hablando con mi mamá y me dijo wue tienes cara de.....(I can only assume that he was going to say gringa but repented....although that's an assumption) Estados Unidos" TR: Oh, because I was talking to my mom and she said that you have the face of an American. I could only laugh. I wanted to ask if I had the face of an American or the hair of someone not Mexican.

Today is the day of the three wise men. A huge deal here. Like Santa Claus in the US, the malls are FULL, there are three men dressed as wise men with whom you can take your picture....for a price, of course. On the fifth, the children attach a letter to a helium-filled balloon asking the wise men for 3 gifts and release them into the air (a beautiful tradition, I believe). We just cut the Rosca de Reyes, a circular cake that has brown sugar and candied fruit on top. Inside the cake is a baby. In the US, as far as I was taught, upon finding the baby, the eater gets a surprise; in Mexico, however for some reason, finding the baby obligate the eater to make the Tamales on February 2, el dia de la candelaria....no one wants to find the baby. I've asked 2 questions....why the second and why is it so bad to find the baby, who is supposed to represent the baby Jesus. No one knows the answers to my questions.

Damn, I'm being run from the house, I wanted to post a part of a story, but our ride is leaving now.....Until next time....

1 comment: